This recipe features black tea and rose petal infused pancakes with homemade cherry compote and melted chocolate. They’re the perfect treat for your sweetheart - or yourself!
Midnight Rose Chocolate Pancakes With Cherries
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup hazelnut milk (or almond milk)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Midnight Rose black tea
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed and 3 Tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For cherry compote:
- 1 bag 10 oz frozen cherries
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice infused with Midnight Rose tea
- 2 tbsp sugar (or as desired)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp grapefruit juice
For melted chocolate:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until boiling (if using homemade almond milk just until simmer), remove from the heat. Add the tea and infuse for 5 minutes. Sieve out the tea leaves pressing with a spoon.
- Once the infused milk is completely cooled, add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix, then fold in the dry ingredients. Make the pancakes into your desired shape.
- Add grapefruit juice in small saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add Midnight Rose tea and infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and press on the leaves to extract all the liquid, then cool completely.
- Mix cornstarch and juice together, set aside. In a medium saucepan at medium heat, add the cherries with the juice infusion, lemon and sugar. Bring to a boil and stir in cornstarch mixture. Once thickened, remove from heat.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, and stir.
- Drizzle the pancakes with chocolate, top with cherries, and enjoy!
Photo and recipe credit: Sandra Aguirre.