In the mood for a sweet and fruity breakfast dish? These mini waffles with black tea infused golden berry jam are sweet, fresh, and totally delicious. They’re the perfect treat for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast, and are easy enough that they may even become a weekday staple. You can also make the black tea infused jam in advance, then top your waffles with it throughout the week.
Mini Waffles With Black Tea Golden Berry Jam
Fresh waffles topped with black tea infused golden berry jam and chocolate.
For the black tea juice infusion:
- 1 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbs black tea ( our Nilgiri black tea is a great choice!)
For the waffles:
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 flaxseed egg (mix 1 tbs flaxseed and 3 tbs water)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2/4 cup of black tea orange juice infusion
For the jam:
- 4 cups golden berries washed
- 1/4 cup black tea orange juice infusion
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the melted chocolate:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add orange juice in small saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add the black tea and infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and press on the leaves to extract all the liquid. Cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan add golden berries, 1/4 cup of the juice infusion, lemon juice and sugar. Bring to boil, lower the temperature and stir constantly. Cook for 15 minutes or until the jam starts to thicken. Let it cool.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Incorporate the remaining 1/2 cup of the juice infusion, flaxseed egg, oil, and syrup and combine.
- In a hot waffle maker add a scoop of batter and cook until done (if you used a mini waffle maker, this recipe makes about 5 waffles).
- While making the waffles, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the waffles with chocolate and top with jam.
- Enjoy with a good cup of tea!
Photo and recipe credit: Sandra Aguirre.