This unique rice pudding combines the stunning color of Butterfly Pea Flower herbal tea with the bright flavor of pineapple.
Butterfly Pea Flower Rice Pudding With Pineapple Compote
For the rice pudding:
- 2/4 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup Butterfly Pea Flower herbal tea, brew and cooled
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
For the black tea juice infusion:
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbs black tea (Nilgiri black tea is a great option)
For the pineapple:
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup juice infusion
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- Toasted coconut
- Toasted macadamia nuts
- To make the rice pudding, rinse rice and add to a medium pot with tea and sugar. Bring to boil, lower the temperature and cook for about 15 minutes. Add coconut milk and keep cooking for 10 minutes. Don’t let it absorb all the milk, it will get thicker once it’s cooled completely.
- In a small saucepan, add orange juice and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add the black tea and infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and press the leaves to extract all the liquid, cool completely.
- At medium heat, cook the pineapple with the juice infusion, lemon and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch with 1 tsp of juice infusion and add to the pineapple. When thickened, remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Place a layer of rice pudding at the bottom of a ring mold, then add a layer of the pineapple compote. Repeat this step once more. Top with toasted coconut and macadamias.
Photo and recipe credit: Sandra Aguirre.